A New Desk

I'm on the hunt for a new desk. My current setup isn't working for me and my body is starting to protest when I spent too much time sitting at my computer, so I'm looking for something a little more ergonomically correct. Right now I'm just using my laptop on one of the tables in my sewing room. This table works great for laying out fabric and cutting pieces for quilts, but no so good for paper work or computer work.

In addition to being the right size and fit, it has to look nice and fit in with my decor. That is where it get's complicated. I'm really not sure exactly what I'm looking for, but I know I'll know the right one when I see it. (this shopping philosophy drives my husband crazy, but it's always worked for me!)

I found one at Office Depot that I really liked. It seemed to be the right size and it was kind of a cottage/beach style which I love. The only down-side was that it had a hutch. I want my desk to sit right in front of my window like my table currently does. Here in the Pacific Northwest I've learned to take advantage of filling myself with all the natural light that I can and this is an absolute necessity. A hutch won't work.

So, the search continues. The ache in my shoulder reminds me that the search can't continue for too long though.

4 comments:

Angie Ledbetter said...

How about an antique door, set on metal saw horses? That's really beachy (and cheap) and unique if you find just the right one. Plus, you can set it at your preferred height at the window. Then get a good chair from Office Depot you can raise and lower as needed.

As for the back pain, I helped my neck aches by switching to a very small purse; really a make-up bag instead of the humongous ones I used to carry on my shoulder.

Good luck with your desk search!

Joanne said...

You can find a lot of interesting tables/desks in the classifieds, too. Sometimes not the typical stuff in the chain stores. Good luck!

Carmen said...

Your shopping philosophy makes good sense to me! Hope you find something that works soon. It'll make your writing so much more enjoyable for you.

Hill Country Hippie said...

Let me know when you find just the right one. This blogging/writing obsession is really taking a toll on my poor body. I definitely need to get my keyboard down off the top of a table, and I too love my window views. I probably need a better chair while I'm at it.