Moving

We're moving. Not my home, but my office is moving. We're consolidating into fewer buildings and so everyone who works in the building that I work in is moving to the corporate office.

We've been busy packing and sorting and planning for the past few weeks. It's been a good opportunity to dispose of old paperwork and things. Right now my office is almost completely packed up in boxes, except for the files and the things that I will need next week, which will be our last week in the current building. It's a bit of a shambles - you know how moving can be.

The new building is bigger and quite nice. We have big windows and a beautiful view, and a few little perks like a cafeteria and a dry-cleaning service. I've been thinking about my new office and making plans in my mind for how I will keep it. All of our paperwork will have to be put away each evening and so my office will be neat and tidy every morning when I arrive. I'll put out the special pictures of my family and my dogs and I might even buy a plant to brighten up the place.

The location is very scenic and there are lots of walking trails just outside the building. Many of us are planning to keep our sneakers there so we can get out and walk during the day.

I'm looking forward to the change; it feels like a fresh start in some ways. It feels almost like starting a new job! That sounds like a good reason to go shopping for a new outfit!

Sometimes change can be difficult and a cause for anxiety, but other times it can be refreshing and an opportunity to do things differently.

How do you generally react to change?

5 comments:

Carmen said...

As long as I have some warning, I'm okay with change. It's the sudden changes that throw me off a bit at first...but I usually adapt (like I have a choice!). Enjoy your new office space...sounds like it will be wonderful!

Hill Country Hippie said...

I love fresh starts! Good thing, considering how often we moved. I always looked upon it as a chance to try out new decor ideas or garden styles, and an opportunity to explore my new territory, searching out neat shops and cafes - one of my very favorite things to do! (also a great way to get off of committees you wish you'd never volunteered for)

JD/ Jill said...

Well, I guess I have to confess that I don't handle change well at all...but I try my best to adapt...Your new office space sounds wonderful...hope it all goes well

Janna Leadbetter said...

Sounds like a great move!

I can get choked up by change. Especially if factors are big. But it takes easing into, graduating to the alteration. Then it's not so bad.

That house is so charming, is it yours? Love it!

Linda Hoye said...

Carmen - I agree, some warning before a change usually makes it easier to absorb.

Becky - Perhaps we should all move every few years to get off of committees we never should have volunteered for!

JD - Change can be hard....I find that as I get older it gets easier though


Janna - I WISH it was my house! We took the picture when we were out for a drive last weekend. It's the house we dream about living in for our retirement.