Message from Nature














Once again I find myself taking cues from nature.  Well, nature as portrayed in a modern neighborhood anyway.

In our neighborood in the summertime the yards are, for the most part, beautiful.  (Don't get me started on those occasional few who choose not to mow the grass and to let the weeds run rampant.  That's a tale for another day.)  Saturday mornings find the yards filled with homeowners cutting grass, deadheading flowers, pruning bushes, and other tasks that make a yard look cared for.  I enjoy taking walks and drives to look at what others are doing in their yards to get ideas for my own.  It's a busy time.

Around mid to late September, the activitiy begins to slow down.  Leaves begin to turn and before you know it, the same yards that were perfectly kept in the summer become littered with leaves and other autumn debris.  It is kind of comforting.  It is a message that it's okay to relax a bit, we don't have to be perfect in our yard care.  It's okay to go out every week or so and rake up the leaves.  It's even okay to wait until the trees have all finished shedding their leaves before going out and tidying up the yard.  In sort, it's a time to chill out.

I'm enjoying autumn this year.  Each windy blustery day is an opportunity to enjoy the blessing of a home that I love, the huge windows in my new office, an afternoon browsing in the mall, or other indoor activities like knitting!

What autumn activities are you enjoying right now?

9 comments:

Joanne said...

Here in New England, the leaves are just about all down, except for the oaks still hanging on. The homes are decorated in such a comforting way, with cornstalks, pumpkins, mums. I love long walks, the air so crisp, and all those leaves crunching under foot. Have a nice weekend :)

Karen said...

What a nice thought, that autumn is the time to relax and just let things be. The snow from last week has melted and the we're having a warm spell. I enjoy just being outdoors, making soup for supper and thinking about (just thinking, mind you!) about starting a knitting project.

Janna Leadbetter said...

It's neat that, as I read this, I hear the swish of wind outside, letting me know I, too, am in the midst of fall. Our leaves are all down, covering the earth with their warm blanket. And speaking of, I like to be indoors under my own blanket, curled up with a book. I'm getting incredible enjoyment out of that right now, along with the occasional comfort of my bed during a favorite tv show that sucks me in.

Anonymous said...

Lovely post Linda. Autumn is my favorite season. The vibrant colors, the cool air, crocheting warm scarves and blankets, and preparing for the holidays inspires me much more than other season.

Stella Jones said...

I love watching the leaves turning colour and this year, in English England, they have been really spectacular, owing I think to the lovely weather we had in October. I don't mind the darker evening because I love to knit, read or watch Tv. It all seems very cosy at this time of the year and I enjoy it all, I really do.
Blessings, Star

Donna M. Kohlstrom said...

Here in Florida it's still summer. Air conditioner always running, sunny and finally getting less humid. We've had a few, for us, chilly mornings in the 60's and looking forward to our great winter weather of 50's at night and 70's in the day with no humidity. After 20 + years in FL I still can't get used to Christmas without snow! But please don't send me any! LOL! Had more than my fill in MA! Guess I'll always be a tropical gal! LOL!

Anita said...

Autumn has always been a favorite season of mine. It reminds me of home, of large gatherings with those you love, and of how nice it is to be able to snuggle up with the one you love and keep warm.

Patty H. said...

The leaves don't last long in our yard. My dh gets them up pretty quick. Autumn is a time of relaxing or should be, slowing down. I'm enjoying the cool, crisp mornings, good hearty soups, hot tea, snuggling up under the covers.

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

I went looking for color this past weekend in the mountains. I'd mostly missed it, but was able to find a few leaves hanging on. I love the look of fallen leaves for a bit. You're right, it kind of gives us permission to step back and breathe!

peace~elaine