Blessed sleep

I wake gradually, not wanting to let go of the last moment of sleep. I sense, even before my eyes open, that it is not 1am or 3am when I usually spend some time thrashing about as I try to get back to sleep. My husband still sleeps and the sound of his regular breathing comforts me. Maya and Chelsea have begun to stir, but I don't let them know that I am awake just yet. I sneak a glance at the clock. It is after 6am. I have slept through the night for the first time in many weeks.

I snuggle back under the covers trying to hold on to the moment. My mind wanders to my work in progress, and suddenly I am inspired with new ideas and direction in which to take it.

Yesterday I was barely functional. Like a battery run down to it's last bits of energy I went through he motions slowly. The fogginess in my brain and weariness in my body from lack of sleep a recipe for disaster.

The Ambien I took last night enabled me to rest well. I will be stronger today. I will be healthier today.

I rise now, looking forward to what lies ahead today, struggling against the temptation to take on too much.

7 comments:

Andrea said...

Your beautiful blog title drew me in from Sassy Granny's. Your posts are lovely.

As I read your most recent, I easily related to the sleep problem. Sleep is so precious, especially to those of us who struggle to find it.

Many blessings to you! Have a wonderful day!

Andrea

Kathleen said...

You're going to like Andrea! Her parlor is such a great place to hang out.

I love this post. I don't often lay quietly when I first wake up. It seems I wake with a head of steam (it's usually depleted most days by 5PM). But when I do linger, I love the sounds & smells of the familiar and the simple.

Be blessed,
Kathleen

P.S. Can hardly wait to read that WIP!

Unknown said...

I lived for years on way too little sleep ... and never realized,until I finally got a full 8 hours, that I wasn't operating at my best. Getting sleep seems like such a simple thing but ... there are so many things that disrupt it.

Glad you got some rest ... enjoy your weekend!

Small Footprints
http://reducefootprints.blogspot.com

Angie Ledbetter said...

Here's to many more nights! I'm well familiar, unfortunately, with the nightmares of sleep deprivation.

Deb said...

hope you continue to get a good nights sleep!

Janna Leadbetter said...

Great news! Peaceful nights of sleep are so important. I hope you get more, Linda.

Melissa Amateis said...

I wish I could get a full night of sleep. I always wake two or three times and look at the clock - it is sooo frustrating.

I'm so glad you got a good night's rest.