Starting out....

So here goes.....I've been thinking about blogging for a while now. Came across a site called Every Woman's Voice a while ago which led me to some blogs that women were doing and I decided to give it a shot.....who knows...might be fun.....

So...what should the theme be....well...here's what I'm thinking now.

In less than six months I'll be 50. (!) One would think that by now I would have learned some things in this life....I hope that's the case.


My own mom died at age 55. I find myself thinking of her so often as I draw nearer to that age myself. She was so young. There are so many things I wish I knew about her that I don't...so many conversations I wish we could have had. I wish she could have seen Laurinda and Michael as adults. I wish she could have seen the twists and paths my own life has taken, and seen the person I turned out to be as an adult. I was barely 25 when she died....still in that very self-centered phase of life and so the questions didn't occur to me then as they do now.

So my hope...my thought at this time...is that I can share some of myself in this blog. For those who may care to read.....

So...why the title of The Velvet Room? It was one of my favourite books as a child. Really I don't remember everything that the book was about, but I remember the description of the velvet room and how it drew me in. Introspective and introverted as a child (not much has changed!) it comforted me and allowed me to escape for a while.

Check it out. The Velvet Room by Zilpha Snyder http://www.amazon.com/Velvet-Room-Zilpha-Keatley-Snyder/dp/0595321836 and see if it doesn't captivate you as well. I am going to go through the box of kids books in my attic and see if I can find it to reread as well.

No comments: