Letters....and something I've always wanted.....


When my Dad was alive, I used to receive letters from him regularly even though he only lived two hours away. I'm sure I received a couple of letters from him every week. Sadly, I haven't saved any of them. They were full of news....his thoughts....general rambling about not much of anything...but a window to his thoughts. I wish I still had some of them.

I remember one of the last, if not the last, one I received from him. He said "Three things that I have always wanted but will probably never have are a horse, a dog, and a trained falcon". I was thinking about that list today. My dad was only 65 when he died. Not in the best health, to be sure. A trained falcon was probably out of the question at that point, as was a horse. But a dog?! Not at all! I knew he had a dog (Mac) as a young boy. For a time we had a dog when I was young. I wish he could have had his own dog after my sister and I left home. A dog just for him again.

So, got me thinking. Are there three things that I have always wanted? Hmmm..... I couldn't think of three, but I did come up with one. I have always, for as long as I can remember, wanted to own my own bookstore. Likely that will never happen. I came close a couple of years ago to purchasing a used book store, but it didn't work out for a variety of reasons...all the right reasons at the time.

But still...in the back of my mind....I wish I could have a bookstore.

No comments: