Of mice, men and God

Maybe it's just me, but sometimes that which should be obvious escapes me, and I will have a moment where I realize what I had been missing. (picture me slapping my forehead here saying "ah ha!"). I had one of those moments last night.

My life has been crazy in recent weeks, there is so much going on at work that just when I think my head is above water, I start drowning in work again. I've been working extra long hours, and quite honestly I'm starting to feel it physically and mentally.

This week I had plans of getting out of the office at lunch time, going to my local B&N and spending some time writing. I even planned to try and get out of the office early (read "on time"). Let's just say those plans haven't materialized as I'd hoped.

Last night, I was reminded of an old saying that my Dad used to quote. "The best laid schemes o' Mice an' Men, gang aft agley." (Robert Burns). I started thinking about how this applied to my good intentions of taking breaks at work and leaving on time.

Then when I sat down to cruise some of my favorite blogs I came across Terri's posting called "A whisper in my heart" and I was reminded of one of my most precious bible verses "Be still and know that I am God".

Ahhh....that's what has been missing. Amidst all the craziness I need to be still and listen for His voice and leading. I won't be able to muster the self-discipline without His help. So thank you, Terri for pointing me back in the right direction.

7 comments:

Patty H. said...

Good reminder.
Blessings

Angie Ledbetter said...

Refreshing to read one non-political post today. Thanks for that. Now, you go take you off a "mental health" day from that job and relax/enjoy! All the work will be there when you get back. :)

Terri Tiffany said...

You do need a break! At the end of the day--what will mean the most to you?
Thank you for the sweet blessing for saying something I wrote touched you:)) That's why I write!

You made my day--now I hope yours is great too!

Melissa Amateis said...

It just amazes me that I can get so busy and crazy with life and I can't figure out why I'm not finding any relief - it's because I FORGET to "Be Still and Listen to Him!"

You'd think that I'd remember!

Anonymous said...

Wishing you a relaxing day. Take that trip to the bookstore...you deserve it.

Pat's Place said...

Yes, it is often hard to get off the treadmill of life and just calm the mind and body. I need to take a lesson from what you are saying. Good luck!

Susan said...

Linda,
I came to your blog after you left a comment for me on the new SCN Blog. This post of yours could have been written by or for me. When I finally get home from work, there's barely enough energy for the must-dos". Like you, I need to remember that time spent with God is one of the most vital "must-do's" Thanks for the reminder!