What would you say?

What would you say to your younger self if you had the opportunity to speak to her? This is a picture of me at 22 years of age. If I could speak to her in a way that she would listen (ah...there is the key) what would I tell her?

I would reassure this young woman that her children will turn into strong, health and loving adults. I would tell her to spend more time with her parents, because too soon they will be gone.

"Listen", I would say, "there is a voice that is trying to get through to you. Stop trying to be so strong, and just listen."

I would tell her that the right road is not necessarily the easy road, and that it is not too late to take that road. I would tell this young woman, that there is heartache in the years to come, and that she will feel that she will not survive the trauma, but I would reassure her that she will not only survive, but she will find strength within herself that she cannot imagine she possesses.

"Listen", I would say again, "you cannot change the past, but you can most definitely influence the future."

I would tell her that she will come to appreciate the lessons that sorrow teaches her, and I would reassure her that she will find happiness, contentment, fulfillment, and peace eventually.

"Be patient", I would say, "you will be okay."

What would you say to your younger self if you had the opportunity?

5 comments:

M. Bail said...

What would I tell my younger self? That's tough, and depends on just how far I get to go back. For the most part my younger self made good choices as far as marriage and family, but I would probably tell her not to abandon her education (because I'm paying for that mistake), and that self-employment is not a good idea for her. Other than that, I think she did okay!

Anonymous said...

Good question and tough answer. I suppose I would tell her to follow her dreams. I do not regret anything that I've experienced because it has made me the strong woman I am today. But the girl back then wanted to be a writer and I wished she had listened to that calling.

Donna M. Kohlstrom said...

Oh there's so much! Where do I begin? First I would tell her to have a strong faith in God. Then to know she doesn't have to prove she can do everything alone. Get rid of anger about the past and find joy and peace in the present.

Patty H. said...

Oh, boy! I would tell my younger self to quit trying to be what others want you to be, find happiness within yourself, not in the approval of others, especially guys. You are a beautiful young lady with alot to offer to others.
Not sure she would have listened, tho.

Terri Tiffany said...

I love this post and the thoughts it brings. I wish I could tell my younger self to not be so afraid and to try to be more adventurous and to value more of the relationships I came into contact with over the years.
Sounds like you lived quite a journey!