Fickle Friend

Have I done something wrong? I don't understand why you seem to have deserted me. I know you're still around because I hear stories of you meeting with others I know.

Over the years our relationship has been fairly consistent. Oh sure, there were the occasional times when I was a young college girl when I stood you up, but you seemed to understand and we were able to pick up just where we left off.

I introduced my children to you when they were babies, in fact I couldn't wait for them to develop a relationship with you!

Now you tease me into believing that you are going to show up. Sometimes you even stay for a few hours, but never for as long as I wish for. This on-again off-again state of our relationship is becoming more difficult for me to deal with. You hold all the power, you know I can't live without you.

Sometime I seek solace in others who hold promise of the same relationship that I have with you. They may help fill the void for a while, but I never stop longing for the real thing that I once enjoyed with you. Lunesta and Ambien are just short term comfort as I wait for you to come back.

Sleep, my fickle friend, please come home.

8 comments:

Janna Leadbetter said...

Oh Linda, I just love the creativity and surprise behind this post! But I am so sorry you're having troubles. Best to you, friend.

Donna M. Kohlstrom said...

Wonderful post! Couldn't wait to read it to the end!

Oh do I know about sleep problems! Been roaming the halls for many a night even with Ambien. I read all the suggestions for a better night sleep, try them all, and still waiting on it like you!

Anita said...

Sorry to hear that you are having sleep problems. I've had them all my life, so I know how difficult it can be. Hope you are able to find rest and sleep soon!

Carmen said...

Very creative post, and boy do I relate. Four or five times every night, at least...and now I'm getting up at the crack of dawn too. What's up with that? Grumble. :[

Kathleen said...

It's true: this is one friend we cannot live without! Fickle simply will not do.

Well written.

Kathleen

Terri Tiffany said...

Having the same problem here the past two nights--got up last night and wrote some:)
I hope it gets better for you really really soon!

Pat's Place said...

Ha! I know that fickle friend. I am known for my 2:00 a.m. e-mails because I find that a VERY creative time. I just get up and see what creative idea comes. Sometimes I only get 3-4 hours of good sleep, but it doesn't seem to hurt. I don't stress about it and I relish those nights when I can sleep more or later in the a.m.

Anonymous said...

(((Linda))) a beautiful post that is well written. I too, on occasion, see that friend. I think the stress of the world's problems, etc. millions have that friend as well. Rest good,
hugs and I've missed you.