Gifts

We all have them. It's true that some are larger and more obvious than others, but the smaller subtle ones are no less valuable. I am talking about our personal gifts.
When my son was twelve years old, he watched a TV program that showed how to build an Adirondack chair. After the program was over he went out into the yard and built a beautiful chair of his own. I'll find a picture and post it one day, it was remarkable. Building and woodworking is his gift.
My daughter taught herself to read before she went to school. When she was a young child we bought her a huge Websters dictionary (at her request!) and she loved it when we suggested large complex words or her to look up in the dictionary. Reading is a gift she has.
My husband can talk to anyone about anything. He is a people person and a natural born salesman. I marvel at him as he moves in areas that terrify me. In this area, he is gifted.
I find it interesting that, while it's often easy for us to pick out giftings in the lives of those around us, but we can struggle to identify our own unique talents. We tend to be modest about our own strengths and may not fully appreciate those things in ourselves.
I challenge you today to look at your own life and share with us what areas you are especially gifted in!

3 comments:

The Unbreakable Child said...

Beautiful post and challenge.

hugs and hi and hope you are having a great summer.

Pat's Place said...

Yes, it IS amazing how we can see the gifts of others and rarely see our own valuable gifts. I guess one of my gifts is the ability to listen to others and trying not to be too directive as they work their problems out.

Nancy said...

Hmmm, first of all, I think you have a talent for writing. As for myself, I have always had a way with seeing patterns in people. So I have always been drawn to psychology, human development and spirituality. I think that is my gift.

Thanks for asking.