Readers


I have them everywhere. Those glasses that I have heard referred to as "readers". I call them lifelines.

I have a pair in almost ever room of my house to prevent what became the mad dash to find a pair of glasses every time I wanted to read something or see something smaller than my 49-and-counting year old eyes could focus on. I have a pair in my purse. On my desk at work I have two pair because the ones I need to see my computer screen don't work for reading paperwork.

I have prescription and non-prescription ones. I have sedate and stylish ones, and also crazy animal print ones. I have a pair on my dresser because I can no longer see the jewelery in my drawer and trying to do up the clasp on a bracelet - forget it!

I wonder sometimes, how people in the past managed to cope with this loss of vision in their maturing years. I wonder if part of that might have resulted in them sitting back on the sidelines more, and observing (only those things happening in the distance!) rather than doing.

Me, I'm going to keep collecting "readers" because I've got a lot of things left to do before I'm ready to sit on the sidelines.

3 comments:

Terri Tiffany said...

My husband has pairs everywhere! I had surgery done on one eye a few years ago and for some reason, I no longer need my bifocals. It isn't supposed to fix close-up but it helped me:)
Just another sign of getting older--but I promise you, there is good too!

Angie Ledbetter said...

Maybe folks' eyes in past generations didn't blow out as fast as ours do with all the reading, squinting at the computer, etc. we do. ;) I love my readers. Without 'em, the phonebook would be useless, and I'd miss so many good authors and poets!

Joanne said...

What I love about the readers is how you can pick up a pair anywhere, and have ready styles for different days/attitudes/fashions! Now we're stylin'!