Dads

Tomorrow is Father's Day. My own Dad has been gone for twenty-five years. Here are a few tidbits that I remember about my Dad.

If you asked Dad now many were in his family he would say that he had six sisters and every one of them had a brother. At first you may think that there were twelve in his family, but in reality there were six girls and one boy! Dad was the brother to each of this sisters. He used to get a kick out of telling that one.

  • Dad had many quips, quotes and little dittys that he would share out of the blue. Here is one:

    Equine quadrupeds may indubitably be induced to approach that well-known standard of specific gravity, but not necessarily be induced to imbibe thereof. (You can lead a horse to water but you can’t make him drink)
  • Dad's nickname for me was Princess.
  • The last words that Dad ever said to me were "I love you, Princess".
Here are some other Dad's that I am blessed to have in my life.


When I got married, not only did I get an amazing husband, I also got another Dad. My father-in-love has a gentle and loving spirit and he is one of the most patient men I know.


He raised fine children, one of whom I am proud to call "husband"!


Brandon was another gift I received when I married my husband. It has been a joy to watch him grow into the man that he has become. He is an excellent husband and father and I am proud to call him "son"!


Gord won my heart forever when he married my daughter. As I watched him look at her in her wedding dress, and saw the tears fall down his cheek, I fell in love with this young man. He treasures my daughter. I will never forget the look on his face as he hurried down a hospital hall saying "It's a girl...and she's beautiful!".
Father's Day is the perfect time to tell all the "Dad's" in your life how much you love and appreciate them!

4 comments:

JD/ Jill said...

Beautifully written post, this one brought tears to my eyes. My Dad has been gone 13 years. Hope you have a great day tomorrow with your husband and "sons"

Jody Hedlund said...

Thanks for sharing that! Was beautiful!

Kathryn Magendie said...

This is so lovely - so very lovely (I envy you being called princess by your father!)

Kathleen said...

Oh my goodness: that picture of your young Dad made me think of Jimmy Dean. What a handsome man!

I also enjoyed your remembrances. They are the precious commodity that comprises our "treasure" as we advance through life. Few things equal such a rich heritage!

Hugs,
Kathleen

P.S. I really like your ending quote (blessing). I may have to use it myself one day.