Enjoying the view

The trouble with being on top of a mountain, is that the only way to go is down. The view when one finds oneself standing on top of a mountain is spectacular and breathtaking but eventually one has to make the descent.
There was a period in my life when I thought that I would be content to stay in level ground with no mountains and definitely no valleys. Time has brought me to the understanding that to attempt to live on level ground, is to miss out much.
While I don't believe that we're meant to make continual and rapid trips up and down the mountain, I think it's right and good for us to spend time celebrating on top of the mountain, understanding that the experience is only for a season.
Our time in the valley, while perhaps not pleasant, is necessary. Looking back at some of my personal valleys, I find that I grew closer to my God, and learned the most in those seasons of my life.
Today, whether I'm on top of a mountain or down in the valley, I know that it's only for a season. I've also learned that from deep in the valley I can still see the magnificence of the mountains. It's my choice to look up.

9 comments:

Angie Ledbetter said...

So true. LOVE this post!

Donna M. Kohlstrom said...

Beautiful, breathtaking view! Thanks for sharing!

I've been up and down the mountains many times and each trip is a new life lesson to prepare me for the next.

Kathryn Magendie said...

Beautiful......

Melissa Amateis said...

Great post! It's amazing what you can see when you start looking "up." :-)

Janna Leadbetter said...

Absolutely. It's a lesson I've had to learn of late. Great post!

Anonymous said...

Linda,

I love reading your posts. They give me hope, inspiration and joy. I cry along with you, I laugh as well. Thank you for sharing everyday.

Angela from angstorycorner

Hill Country Hippie said...

You hit the nail on the head, my dear. We actually NEED those valleys, in order to fully appreciate the peaks. For example, would I take such exquisite pleasure in a Texas fall, if it didn't follow on the heels of a tortuous summer? I think not!

Terri Tiffany said...

The mountains give us hope as we go through those vallies. Love the picture!

Michele said...

Beautifully said. Thank you for sharing.