Out of touch

It had to happen eventually. I was hoping that it would be a few years down the road, but it happened yesterday. My official induction into the "Out of Touch" club.

I've been struggling with the speed (or lack thereof) of my laptop lately and finally sent an email to my son (the techno wizard) asking what I could do to kick her up a notch. Well, he responded with a link to a product advising me to print the page and take it into any techie store and they would be able to give me what I needed.

Yesterday after church, my husband and I dutifully took the piece of paper into Best Buy. After wandering around in a daze in the computer department, hubby finally asked for help, and we were directed to the Geek Squad at the front of the store. (honest, that's what they're called!)

I handed the young fellow my piece of paper saying "I need one of those" not having the faintest idea what one of those really was. I was doing fine until he asked me a question! A question?! Please!

I responded in the way I've heard old ladies respond in the past. "I don't know, my son just told me to get it.".

Welcome to the club, Linda.

13 comments:

Anita said...

Aww don't feel too bad...half the time with computers even the "computer experts" don't know what's new!

Janna Leadbetter said...

Isn't that such a pitiful (yet somehow incredibly catchy) name? Geek Squad!

Pat's Place said...

Ha! I joined that club a long time ago! I always say "my son told me I needed such and such" and they look at me like they have had lots of little old ladies come in and want some strange bit of computer technology that only THEY understand.

Angie Ledbetter said...

LOL, hear ya! I'm in the club too. It's pretty nice, and there are no dues. 'Course, it's slightly more humiliating in my case, because sons are 16 & 18. :)

Angie Ledbetter said...

...and to prove the point that I live with fuzz brain, I forgot to say you have blog bling to collect at my place.

Terri Tiffany said...

Been there done that one!! And yes, love those geeks.

Anonymous said...

Don't feel too bad sweetie. I'm quite sure I'm responsible for bringing the entire internet down on more than one occasion as well, the electric can opener hisses at me when I walk by. ; )

Anonymous said...

I'm in the club as well...secretly. I have my own Geek Squad living right under my roof--my husband, Brian--it's nice. I don't consider myself to be really old (what is really old???) but seem to be hanging on to the loop very loosely.

BlueRidge Boomer said...

What is the difference between a megabite and a Gigabite.....and can't even spell them right....anyway...the techy male child trys to explain it....but, i just get that cross-eyed Duh look on my face!!!

Donna M. Kohlstrom said...

I don't want to know or do anything technical with computers. I just want to write and do my photos. That's why I have a computer tech husband and a son who is a senior software engineer. They know if they don't immediately answer my endless calls for help that my computer will be on the ground, in the garage under my back wheels of my car! LOL!

Kathryn Magendie said...

Laughing!

Well, maybe you need more memory? Or if your laptop is more than five years old, maybe a new laptop(that's what I did )...but my old desktop I just put on more memory and it helped.

have you done a disc clean up and disc defrag?

Michele said...

Hi there,
I'm a new follower of your blog... In fact, I'm fairly new to blogging period! My husband and I are newly retired from teaching! We've spent a lot of time with the "Geek Squad" lately ourselves! Even the elementary kids I worked with had all kinds of video games and gadgets that constantly left me in the dark! (And I've had quite a bit of computer training!!)

Carmen said...

LOLOLOLOL!!!! Love it! I just wish I didn't relate so well!