Focus

It's hard not to get caught up in looking forward on this, the first day of a new year. I shy away from making resolutions and lists of things that I want to accomplish this year, but I can't help but reflect upon a vision that I have for 2009 in general.

All day today I have been thinking in terms of focus. I recognize that there are things that I would like to focus less on this year, and areas where I need to direct more attention this year.

As I was out walking this evening I was thinking about my last visit to the optometrist.

In his office there is an eye chart on the wall across from the chair where I sit. The object of the exam is for me to attempt to focus on that chart and to read the letters printed on it.

When I am not wearing my contact lenses or glasses it is impossible for me to read any of the letters, but the doctor puts a contraption in front of my face and inserts different strengths of lenses in the slots and suddenly I am able to see all of the letters clearly. Without those lenses, no matter how hard I try, I am not able to focus on the letters in such a way as to read them.

This year, my prayer is that I will remember that within my own strength I will not be able to attain that sense of focus that I need to walk the path I am called to. I pray that I will not forget to look at life through the lenses of Jesus Christ living within me, knowing that it is only then that I will be able to maintain the correct focus and balance in my life.

7 comments:

Patty H. said...

Good Post! So true.

Joanne said...

Faith works so well in helping to keep perspectives clear. Best wishes.

Janna Leadbetter said...

Great message, Linda. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

May God give us all eyes to see, ears to hear and lips to praise. Good post.

Angie Ledbetter said...

Thanks for a great New Year reminder. :)

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

Hi, just jumping over here from Angie Ledbetter's place. Happy to meet a "C0-Linda" who loves Yorkies and writing!

Carmen said...

Nice post! I've been having the same thoughts!